1. Place parentheses ( ) around each prepositional phrase.
(1 per parenthesis) Draw an arrow from the
opening parenthesis to the word the phrase chunks to. (1
1. Underline each word in a subject once; each word in a finite verb twice. (2 per word)
2. Label each complement* (PA, PN, IO, DO) of a finite
verb. (2 per complement)
1. Place brackets [ ] around each subordinate clause. (5 per bracket). If the clause functions as a noun, label its function Otherwise, draw an arrow from each opening bracket to the word that the subordinate clause chunks to. (5 per label or arrow)
2. Put a vertical line at the end of each main clause.
(5 per vertical line)