1. "Come then," said Wonderwings. She (1) took the little fairy's hand
and up they (2) rose into the clear air.
2. "Oh dear! I (3) am so sleepy," said Poppypink, and she (4) yawned again.
3. She sprang from bed and dressed so hurriedly that I am afraid her (5)
hair did not receive its (6) due amount of brushing.
4. "My (7) wings are small and colourless. Tell me (8) how I may grow
wings like yours (9)."
5. "Such wings as mine (10) are only to be won in sadder lands than
these (11)," she said.
6. She looked around, and found herself (12) alone.
7. She gathered armfuls of the golden sunbeams, and flying with them (13)
through the glass as only a fairy can fly, herself unseen, she heaped
them over the twisted hands and pale thin face of the child, and left
her (14) playing with them (15) and smiling happily.
8. Lower she flew to help the little ones who (16) cried about the gutters.
9. "I have a daughter as well as a son; why should she (17) not have a
kingdom too? I will see to it (18) at once."
10. The Queen-mother looked down into the water of the pool. As she
gazed, ripples came upon its (19) surface. They broke away into
shining cascades of diamonds and pearls, and between them (20)
appeared the face and shoulders
of the old woman of the road.