1. Then Ruby was so lazy and fat.
2. The rabbits looked very sober and wise.
3. In a loft in the barn they kept hay and straw and oats for the horses.
4. The room had a bright light and a warm fire in it.
5. And how thin and weak you grew in the beautiful blue cave in the
side of the ice.
6. North Wind swept the people all into their homes and the bad smells
out of the streets.
7. The wind down below was making waves in the ripe grain and
ripples on the rivers and lakes.
8. He kept picturing to himself the many places, lovely and desolate,
the hill sides and farm yards and tree-tops and meadows.
9. He could hear the straining of the masts, the creaking of the boom,
and the singing of the ropes with the roaring of the wind; also the
surge of the waves past the ship's sides and the thud of the waves
against the hull of the ship.
10. So on a certain day, Diamond's father took his mother and
Diamond himself and his little brother and sister and Nanny and
Jim down by train to "The Mound."