Be sure that you underline the entire verb phrase.
Underline verbs twice, their subjects once, and label complements ("PA,"
"PN," "IO," or "DO").
1. The nightingale was always put above everything else.
2. It has never been presented at court.
3. The palace had been brightened up for the occasion.
4. They were all dressed in their best.
5. The emperor was charmed.
6. A ribbon was tied round its neck.
7. A new emperor was already chosen.
8. The real nightingale was banished from the kingdom.
9. Everybody's eyes were turned towards the little grey bird.
10. Cloth had been laid down in all the rooms and corridors.