1. The younger man lifted the rifle quickly, cuddled the
stock, and fired.
2. They would stretch out their hands and snap their fingers and call in
3. Lassie sank, plunged a moment, and then fell on her
4. The two old people brought Lassie into the warmth of the hearth and
laid her on the rug.
5. Lassie accepted these men, but responded to none of them, nor went
where they could touch her, nor answered any of their
6. The people did not move suddenly or shout noisily or
throw things that hurt.
7. The dogs, then the men, tumbled out, and raced away after Lassie's tracks.