1. The boy was tossing feverishly on __________ bed, and the mother
had fallen asleep, __________ was so tired.
2. One night __________ flew over the city a little Swallow. __________
friends had gone away to Egypt six weeks before, but __________ had
stayed behind, for __________ was in love with the most beautiful Reed.
__________ had met __________ early in the spring as __________ was
flying down the river after a big yellow moth, and had been so attracted by
__________ slender waist that __________
had stopped to talk to __________.
3. "__________ is curious," __________ remarked, "but __________ feel
quite warm now, although
__________ is so cold."
4. At noon the yellow lions come down to the water's edge to drink.
__________ have eyes like green beryls, and __________ roar is louder
than the roar of the cataract.
5. "Why can't __________ be like the Happy Prince?" asked a sensible
mother of __________ little boy __________ was crying
for the moon.
6. "Alas! __________ have no ruby now," said the Prince; "__________
eyes are all that __________ have left. __________ are made of rare
sapphires, __________ were brought out of India a thousand years ago.
Pluck out one of __________ and take __________ to __________.
__________ will sell __________ to the jeweller, and buy food and
firewood, and finish __________ play."
7. So the Swallow plucked out the Prince's eye, and flew away to the
student's garret. __________ was easy enough to get in, as __________
was a hole in the roof. Through __________ __________ darted, and
came into the room. The young man had __________ head buried in
__________ hands, so __________ did not hear the flutter of the bird's
wings, and when __________ looked up __________ found the beautiful
sapphire lying on the withered violets.
8. Early the next morning the Mayor was walking in the square below
in company with the Town Councillors. As __________ passed the column
__________ looked up at the statue: "Dear __________! how shabby the
Happy Prince looks!" __________ said.
"How shabby indeed!" cried the Town Councillors, __________ always
agreed with the Mayor; and __________ went up to look
9. "Bring __________ the two most precious things in the city," said God
to __________ of __________ Angels; and the Angel brought __________
the leaden heart and the dead bird.
"__________ have rightly chosen," said God, "for in __________ garden
of Paradise this little bird shall sing for evermore, and in __________ city of
gold the Happy Prince shall praise __________."