1. Old Henry drove to Swinnerton,
the neighboring town, and procured a doctor.
2. As a matter of fact, they had aged synchronously with the persons who lived
here, old Henry Reifsneider and
his wife Phoebe Ann.
3. Her idea was to take counsel with Jake, her man, and perhaps have him
notify the authorities.
4. Beyond these and the changes of weather the snows, the rains, and the
fair days there are no immediate,
5. He was a thin old man, seventy when she died, a queer, crotchety person
with coarse gray-black hair and
beard, quite straggly and unkempt.
6. The old-fashioned four-poster bed, with its ball-like protuberances and
deep curving incisions, was there also, a sadly alienated descendant of an
early Jacobean ancestor.