1. Phoebe Ann was thin and shapeless, a very umbrella of a woman, clad in
shabby black, and with a black bonnet
for her best wear.
2. As he drew near, however, the apparition resolved itself into its primal
content his old coat over the high backed chair, the lamp by the paper, the
3. Moonlight and shadows combined to give it a strange form and a stranger
reality, this fluttering of bogfire
or dancing of wandering fire-flies.
4. Wall, I'll swan, Henry, yuh ain't jokin', are yuh? said the solid Dodge, a
pursy man, with a smooth, hard,
5. It was one of those little wisps of mist, one of those faint exhalations of the
earth that rise in a cool night after a warm day, and flicker like small white
cypresses of fog before they disappear.