1. He fell asleep after a time,
his head on his knees.
2. He quivered and watched it eagerly; but a faint breath of air stirring, it
wound away toward the fence and
3. Well, he said to himself, his
mouth open, I thought shore I saw her.
4. Yet here she was now, bending over the table in her black skirt and gray
shawl, her pale profile outlined
against the moonlight.
5. And out he marched in the face of her protests taking to the dusty road
again in the warm spring sun, his cane striking the earth as he went.