1. The creaky wooden loom on which it had been done now stood like a dusty
bony skeleton, along with a broken rocking-chair, a worm-eaten clothes-press
— Heavens knows how old — a lime-stained bench that had once been used to
keep flowers on outside the door, and other decrepit factors of household utility,
in an east room that was a lean-to
against this so-called main portion.
2. He aroused out of his sleep, actually to see her, he thought, moving from
his bedroom into the one living
room, her figure a shadowy mass of black.
3. “Why, Mr. Reifsneider,” exclaimed old Matilda herself, a stout woman,
looking out of the door in answer to his knock, “what brings yuh here this
4. This day, as has been said, saw Reifsneider at other doors, eagerly asking
his unnatural question, and leaving a trail of amazement, sympathy, and pity
in his wake.
5. “Yuh ain't seen Phoebe, have yuh?” inquired the old man, looking up