1. As they were wicked men, the Roman people rose up against them,
and drove them out of the city.
2. The banished kings then went to Tuscany, where Lars Porsena took
up their cause, and gathering an army together, went to help them force
an entrance into Rome again.
3. “The pathway is so narrow,” said he, “that if two others will help me,
we can stop the whole army from advancing. So who will keep the bridge
4. Lartius and Herminius just succeeded in getting safely to the farther
bank, but Horatius remained facing
the foe until the last beam fell.
5. Then with a cry he leapt into the foaming stream, and although badly
wounded and heavy with his armour, he managed to rejoin his comrades
on dry land, to the joy of the whole city.