1. More than two thousand years ago Rome was ruled over by some kings
2. The city could only be entered by crossing the river Tiber, and there was
wooden bridge over which the army could pass.
3. Then the leader of the Romans, who was called the Consul, cried out
followers to destroy the bridge.
4. At this a Roman called Horatius came forward and offered to stand at
the farther end of the bridge, to keep the Tuscans at bay while it was
5. But their laughter was soon changed to wrath and despair, as one after
the other they and their chiefs were quickly laid low at the feet of the
6. Meanwhile the supports of the
bridge were destroyed.
7. During his gallant fight, a dart from an enemy’s arrow had put out one
eye, and because of this he was given the surname of Cocles, which