1. He put her hand to his lips, and moved towards the door.
2. He sank into the chair, and brooded over the embers, and shed tears.
3. She laid down her knitting, and began to pin her rose in her head-dress.
4. Under cover of the darkness he followed out of the room, followed
down the stairs, followed down the court, followed out into the streets.
5. He turned towards him in his chair, but did not look at him, or raise
6. The wayfarer smoked his pipe out, put it in his breast, slipped off his
great wooden shoes, and lay down on his back on the heap of stones.
7. They stopped all comers and goers, cross-questioned them, inspected
their papers, looked for their names in lists of their own, turned them
back, or sent them on, or stopped them and laid them in hold.
8. Defarge himself issued orders, issued arms, thrust this man back,
dragged this man forward, disarmed one to arm another, laboured
and strove in the thickest of the uproar.
9. They advanced, retreated, struck at one another's hands, clutched
at one another's heads, spun round alone, caught one another and
spun round in pairs, until many of them dropped.
10. The old man kissed her, and hurried her into his room, and turned
the key; then, came hurrying back to the Doctor, and opened the
window and partly opened the blind, and put his hand upon the
Doctor's arm, and looked out with him into the courtyard.